Believe it or not, the right mindset for fitness is a psychological factor that you cannot ignore when you’re trying to keep fit. It’s like playing a game, you need to believe you can win, and not only believe, but see it happening in your mind. This mindset is very powerful; it ingrains in you the will to succeed.
Look at your own fitness as a game. Just as you need to know the rules of the game as well as the basics of performing that game, say as in a sport, you also need the right information to make your fitness plan effective.
When you have all the tools you need, you can become an excellent performer in almost anything you try in life. One of these tools is the right frame of mind. The right frame of mind will give you motivation, commitment, and the skills you need to overcome the obstacles that you might face along with temptations and distractions.
When you have the right psychology in your Fitness Plan, you will make it fun, easier, more exciting, and be able to develop changes towards a healthier lifestyle that will stay with you forever. Your mindset controls your behaviour, actions, and thoughts.
As people grow, they develop habits and associations that govern their life. Most of these habits are controlled by our sub-conscious and we are generally unaware of them. However, your subconscious could also sabotage your efforts – also while you unaware of them. This can be detrimental to your Health and Fitness Plan.
The right mindset entails using various techniques and strategies to control your behaviour by monitoring your thoughts and actions. When you obtain this mindset, you will be better equipped to replace the old habits and associations that formed your thinking in the first place with new and more positive habits that will enable you to achieve the fitness you desire, and be happier while you do so!
Developing the correct mindset doesn’t occur overnight. It takes a little bit of effort, but in the end, it is well worth the time you’ll spend doing so. You will have to regularly monitor your progress and behaviour. Sometimes it will be easy – at other times, it won’t.
The good news is that there are some easy ways to begin to put yourself into the right mindset.
1. Write your goals down – tell yourself what you want to achieve, if you have a weight issue, tell yourself what weight you want to get to. While you’re at it, write down any other personal goals you might have as far as your life in general. Since you’re undertaking something as life altering as a new health and fitness Plan, you may as well also focus your efforts on improving other aspects of your life while you have the motivation and drive. Believe me this really works, it’s powerful stuff!
2. Be specific about what those goals are. When you generalize your goals, you are trivializing them. Your goals ARE IMPORTANT. Make them important!
3. You want a Fitness Plan in place that you really enjoy. You want to see some progress, say in your Plan how you want to do this. Make those goals measurable and achievable.
4. Don’t think TOO big or try to undertake more than what you are capable of. If you need to lose 100 pounds (45.4 kilos), don’t expect to do it in a few weeks. Give yourself enough time to do so in a healthy manner. You could also try to break the goals down into easier increments.
5. Tell yourself that you will lose 10 pounds (4.5 kilos) over the next month and you want to be able to Walk/Run 2 miles a day. Then tell yourself the same thing the next month. Eventually, you’ll reach that goal and feel the satisfaction of losing that weight, and being fitter. When you assign a deadline, you give yourself a goal to work for, and remember goals are important.
6. Focus on those goals everyday. Post them on your refrigerator, write them in your diary, and put them in your phone. When you focus on your goals, you will keep them in mind all the time and when they are first and foremost in your mind, you will be well on the way toward achieving them.
7. Be committed to those goals – at all costs. There’s a reason why you want to achieve those goals. When you are committed, those goals become the focus of your mind and they will be much easier to realize.
8. The battle with our metabolism as we age can’t be denied. Our metabolism, which transforms our food into energy, slows down with each passing year. If we don’t adjust our eating habits and our exercise to compensate, we slowly add additional pounds. We may feel betrayed, but the reality is we’re going to have to change some habits in order to maintain our fitness and health.
9. If you take things one step at a time, there are basic steps that can be adopted, to the life that you want and deserve. Stop telling yourself, “I just can’t do it.” The reality is – you can.
Developing a psychology towards health and fitness and the right mindset will help you achieve your goals and realize success. Aim high, push hard, become the type of person you want to be. We are not given the power of dreams without the power and ability to achieve those dreams. It’s time to Start – RIGHT NOW!